Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Acronyms ahoy - LIBDAY8 and NLD12

LIBDAY8 and NLD12

The Library Day In A Life Project allows librarians and information workers in a huge variety of contexts to share a snapshot of a day, or a week, in their working lives.

As such it promotes the diversity of the sector, gives insight into available jobs, and gives those considering entering the profession a flavour of the types of work it can entail.  It started as a 'day' but generally it's now become a 'week'!  And for #libday8 within the week also falls National Libraries Day 2012 on 4th February handily enough which promotes the value of all kinds of libraries.

Dealing With (relative!) 'calm'

The last couple of weeks for me have been full-on diving around the UK for lots of different purposes, so in a way better suited to Library Day in A Life as that is more normal for me.

LIBDAY8 however falls on a much calmer week when I'm largely in one place and at my own desk (minor miracles of life!) catching up on more regular activity.

Participation...

I've never partcipated in this before as I usually end up meaning to and listing activity till about (coughs) Tuesday and then the week passes in a flash and I realise I don't have the content to do it. I've simply forgotten precisely what I did when and the bus has passed and the sector is onto the next thing.

Scheduling and Approach

So what I’m going to do at the end of this week is one very general post of the key activities of each ‘day’ of this week rather than do daily entries or tweet it as I go. Because there's huge amounts of #libday8 content this week from huge numbers of people and I know I prefer blogs as structure for it to TweetAMinute which gets overwhelming quickly. 

Therefore I'm deciding on participation but with some volume control works best for me. I'm building up a list each day of the key activities in draft format so come end of week I will know what I did when.

And if it all works to plan this time (grins) I'll even link myself to the LibDay8 webpage in celebration!

Diversity Is A Glorious Thing

But I will  also add a few separate blog posts on some of the specific things I’ve been involved in over the last couple of weeks. Simply because if everyone is concentrating on #libday8 content at the same time it gets a bit same-y perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment