Monday, October 17, 2011

CPD23 Thing 17 – Captain Pugwash Arises Early In The Morning

There are a lot of good things to be said for being a bit behind in CPD23, it does allow for some interesting approaches. Coming to Thing 17 somewhat late has been a good case in point.

Seeing It Before You Suss What It Actually Is

A couple of weeks ago I sat through my first Prezi presentation, I just didn’t know what it was I was watching. If I’d had time to get to Thing 17 the penny would have dropped instantly, but as it was I didn’t match the two together for days afterwards. 

So what did I think of Prezi as a presentation mode? Well, a bit nauseous actually, it was all that large screen swooping back and forth across the information landscape early on a Monday afternoon...  It made me feel like a very quick cut cinema presentation in the front row.  It was interesting, but it wasn’t giving me any inclination to try it out or give up PowerPoint in its favour. 

Devious Prezi’ing

What was really useful was having sat through a Prezi presentation very recently. I thought I would give it a go creating a very small one, and based on reflection of my overall CPD23 experience (this is called deciding how to get two Things out of 1 creation as I try to get myself finished and catch up on the Things I’m missing!).  So it’s a Prezi that will paste nicely as a link re the actual content for most of my Thing 23 post as well!

Sketching Presentations Rather Than Writing Them

And because I’d already sat through a Prezi and knew the kinds of things I did and did not like about it what I basically did was I drew it on a sheet of A4 paper as I wanted it to look and then figured out how to replicate that look and layout into Prezi.  Perfection it isn’t, but as a rough guide to my CPD23 experience and musings I think it works very well.

Prezi as an option…

It’s just possible that I might actually use Prezi again. There are types of presentations that I think it would actually work for very well, and others where I’d definitely stick to my Powerpoint. I think for short narrative stories that progress and can be shown visually Prezi is quite a good option though.  But it’d be important to view it on a large screen first before deciding it was finished. Just in case you’re swooping a lot more than you thought, we don’t want to induce sea sickness in the native audiences!

The CPD23 Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment