Wednesday, October 19, 2011

CPD23 Thing 21 – Two short sentences and lots of self-control

We’re asked about what we like and dislike to do and what skills are evident in the things we like and what we get satisfaction from. To think about recording our skills, what this means in terms of c.v.’s, interviews….

Things I’m Not Going To Concentrate On!

I’m not about to list my skills and activities because I have mostly done Portfolio that needs submitted next year for my next FCLIP Revalidation already sitting here which includes up-dated c.v. etc etc so I don’t see the need for a replication exercise. Not going to focus on the interviews aspect either, I’ve done a few down the years from both ends of the table. Mostly it’s about getting comfortable with it, more you’ve done, more different types and contexts, it helps relaxation a lot and focus. Both those things help immensely….

Likes and Dislikes

I like – achievement, focus, completion, perfection, commitment, learning, impetus, a sense of caring about things.

The subjects I apply this to differ – anything to do with the profession, anything to do with ancient history, and there really isn’t time for much else.

I dislike – feeling I don’t manage the attributes in the above ‘like’ list(!), being too tired to care or process while surveying the long queue of things I haven’t managed to do yet I feel guilty about, feeling I’m not getting enough done.

When did I last feel deep satisfaction?

I do quite a lot actually, in an odd way perhaps, e.g.
1) Presentation researching for something I gave earlier this month, a mad frantic rush admittedly, but it felt really good at points in it too where I was deeply immersed in the material. (ancient history life)
2) A few weeks ago I was Chair’ing something particularly large and complicated and I enjoyed it. Exhausted but good afterwards. (professional life)
3) Some urgent research I did today with a very good result. (work life)
4) I have a really horrendous schedule, I actually feel deep satisfaction through the entire heroic accomplishment of just getting through each day with it reasonably intact and building on it without something slipping massively. It is actually its own accomplishment. (many lives)

Changing the Pattern

Everything done or progressed is a victory, and above all I believe in progressing things I care about. I’ve always over-done things, never been exactly tidy in my use of energy, the tendency is all-out effort or post-completion puddle and frenetic activity at all hours.  I’d really like to have a higher percentage of commitments that I can turn around in reasonable timescale and just be finished than now. That would be wonderful. I’d also like to have more free time, and to feel less tired. The scary answer to be brutally honest is less commitments to juggle in the first place.

2012 – The Year Of Less Is More. 

Finish some things. Do not take more on in substitution.
Two such small and simple sentences in theory!
I have good friends who are every bit as bad as me (like must attract like!!), this is what I sternly say to them several times a year. They say ‘yes, I agree, but’. I know, I feel the ‘but’ about applying it to myself too. I want to do it, ‘but’ I also want to have my cake and eat it. Two short sentences will require a great deal of self-control (and sitting on my hands physically while humming desperately probably).

No comments:

Post a Comment